Rice – the most consumed calorie around the world and the second-highest in worldwide production. And yet, this most ancient of grains can offer the latest sustainable solution for even greater production on fewer acres reducing the need for chemicals, energy and water. It can – if that rice is Smart Rice™.
Developed through classical breeding, coupled with computer-aided trait selection, Smart Rice™ is better rice. It has the smallest carbon footprint of all commercially grown rice, thanks to a higher photosynthetic rate and naturally-occurring pest and disease tolerance, requiring less water, nitrogen and pesticides.
Smart Rice™ is helping foster optimized on-farm growing practices to increase the appeal of America’s rice crop both domestically and overseas. Selecting Smart Rice™ as your preferred rice ingredient is the sustainable choice.
What If?Growers could harvest the same amount of rice by:
- Cultivating 20% less total acres?
- Using up to 33% less water for irrigation?
- Needing 17% less nitrogen fertilizer?
- Requiring 25% fewer chemical pesticides?
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 36%?
- Using 40% less energy overall?