Simple White Rice
Sometimes it can be hard to think of a good side dish when you are in a rush or running low on ingredients. Here is a simple recipe for stovetop white rice that you will want to keep in your cookbook!
- 1 cup of white rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of butter or oil (optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Rinse the rice in a fine-mesh strainer under cold running water until the water runs clear. This removes excess starch and dirt from the rice.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rinsed rice, water, butter or oil (if using), and salt (if using). Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan with a lid.
- Allow the rice to simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes. This allows the rice to steam and become fluffier.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- You can also add any additional ingredients to the rice, such as vegetables, proteins, or herbs, to make it a more complete meal. Enjoy!
SmartRice® is Good for You and Good for the Earth.
Rice – the most consumed calorie around the world and the second-highest in worldwide production. And yet, this most ancient of grains can offer the latest sustainable solution for even greater production on fewer acres reducing the need for chemicals, energy and water. It can – if that rice is SmartRice®. Developed through classical breeding, coupled with computer-aided trait selection, SmartRice® is better rice. It has the smallest carbon footprint of all commercially grown rice, thanks to a higher photosynthetic rate and naturally-occurring pest and disease tolerance, requiring less water, nitrogen and pesticides. SmartRice® is helping foster optimized on-farm growing practices to increase the appeal of America’s rice crop both domestically and overseas. Selecting SmartRice® as your preferred rice ingredient is the sustainable choice.